Sunday, January 27, 2013

What Kids Can Highlight in Your Own Life

This morning while getting ready for church, I discovered Korwyn had a Lego stylus.  She was sitting by Cole but he was deeply entranced with the iPad so I asked him if it was okay for her to have that.  He glanced over quickly and nonchalantly replied, "Yes....It is Dax's." I inwardly laughed at his lack of care for is brother's possession and thought (condescendingly)  about how I could teach him to change that view- in essence, to change him...

...Not even 5 minutes later...

David was looking at the computer screen and stated, "Something's wrong."  I became uneasy and asked if he was looking at the accounts. I immediately flipped into worry mode about whether I had forgotten to record a debit or something worse.  Upon my query, he replied that he was looking at the score postings for a golf match and the scores looked wrong. I responded with much relief, "Oh, good, it is the golf match and not our accounts.!!"

Then came the TUG: "Underlying belief: As long as your world and your stuff is ok, Farah, the rest makes no matter...huh?"

Very same heart attitude!! Evidently you are teaching him already, Farah! Now focus on teaching / changing yourself! He picks it up by osmosis:)


I just read this to him and asked if he understood it. He said "No." So I clarified, 'This morning I was more too worried about changing your value attitude when I had the same value attitude.  I was trying too hard to work on you and I needed work on myself too. Can you forgive me?" 

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in you own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye, when al the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank our of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." -Matthew 7:3-5


No comments: